Hospital Board At Large, Seat 1
1. What are the major pros and cons of privatizing Sarasota Memorial Hospital and what is your position?
The primary responsibility of the CEO of a private corporation is to maximize shareholder return( According to the Harvard School of Business). Medical decisions will be made to ensure a profit, that are not necessarily in the best interests of the patient. We must keep our SMH a community hospital that puts patient welfare first and serves all Sarasotans from Newtown to North Port.
2. Regarding the expansion of Sarasota Memorial Hospital: please expand upon why you agree or disagree with the current expansion?
I agree with expansion plans that include a Venice and North Port locations
3. How would you like future expansion to proceed?
Venice first while at the same time initiate studies to find a North Port location and commence the planning process.
4. The failure of the State of Florida to expand Medicaid increases the hospital's uncompensated costs. What is your position on accepting the Federal Medicaid Funds?
The State of Florida should accept Medicaid funding!
5. Moral and financial reasons for accepting Federal Medicaid Funds which were presented to the past Legislature did not work. How can the taxpayers encourage the Legislature to accept the federal Medicaid funds?
Unfortunately partisan politics is preventing Medicaid funding. We need to elect legislators that put peoples interests first—not special interests! Electing Democratic legislators would be a good start!
SMH should define the issues involved, define the requirements, prepare a budget to address these issues and go public to gain community support. Hold our elected officials accountable.