Below are the candidates running for the Sarasota Charter Review Board (CRB) this November. They are listed in District order, as found on the Supervisor of Elections' site.
On Sept. 22, all 11 candidates were sent the same six questions. Click on each candidate's name for his or her responses. If the name is not hyperlinked, the candidate's response has not yet been received.
Charter Review Board, Dist. 1 Arlene SweetingCharter Review Board, Dist. 1 Joseph Anthony (Tony) SawyerCharter Review Board, Dist. 2 Karen Collins-FlemingCharter Review Board, Dist. 2 Donna BarcombCharter Review Board, Dist. 2 Robert NeffCharter Review Board, Dist. 3 Tom PatalanoCharter Review Board, Dist. 3 Pat WaymanCharter Review Board, Dist. 4 Ray PorterCharter Review Board, Dist. 4 Jody HudginsCharter Review Board, Dist. 5 Mike ShlaskoCharter Review Board, Dist. 5 David Samuel
Sincere thanks to all the candidates for their civic effort; special thanks to those who graciously participated to better acquaint voters with the issues and purpose of the CRB, and with the people running for it.
- Why do you think you’re particularly well suited for the Charter Review Board?
- Do you think the Charter Review Board should be changed from an elected board to an appointed board? Please explain.
- What are three issues that have been suggested for the CRB’s consideration that you feel are worthy of further inquiry? For each one, please explain why you think it’s important.
- What is your position on single-district elections?
- Do you believe citizen petition charter amendment drives should be subject to a time limit on gathering signatures?
- Do you believe advisory boards should be subject to a rule that aims to balance them by geography, areas of expertise, and relevant experience in advocacy? (For example, for the Planning Commission, at least one member with experience in advocating for affordable housing.)