Monday, August 27, 2018

Lohr: Why I'm running for Charter Review Board

My name is Krista Lohr and I am running for Sarasota County Charter Review Board (CRB) District 1. I am running for the CRB because the CRB does not currently have an advocate for the
people or the environment. 

If elected to the CRB, I will be an advocate for the voters and for Sarasota County’s natural resources. I am currently the Vice Chair of the Sarasota County Democratic Environmental Caucus of Florida and the Newsletter Editor for the Manatee Sarasota Sierra Club Group’s BOCA newsletter. I also serve as Treasurer for the Suncoast Women of Action.

Another reason I decided to run for CRB is because The CRB has not been very active in recent years. Most voters are unaware that Sarasota County has a Charter or the CRB. If elected, I would work towards a more active CRB which would implement a plan for community outreach and educating the public about the Charter and the CRB.

Third, I decided to run because I believe the voice of the public should not be limited. In 2016 I was concerned about the possibility of the CRB becoming an appointed board as opposed to elected. I believe the voters' right to determine who represents them on the CRB must not be taken away. Now in 2018 I have concerns regarding a Board of County Commission proposal that would restrict the voice of the voters. The proposal is to increase (double) the amount of signatures needed for a public initiative to amend the Charter to get on the ballot and to also change (shorten) the amount of time to acquire the signatures needed. This proposal makes the process of getting a public initiative on the ballot to amend the Charter even more onerous than it already arguably is. That I would argue is voter suppression.

Please visit my website, krista4charterreview.strikingly.com,
 and like my Facebook page, facebook.com/krista4charterreview. PLEASE VOTE FOR KRISTA LOHR FOR CHARTER REVIEW BOARD ON NOVEMBER 6, THANK YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment