1. The co-op will need 40 participating households to start in earnest, and information sessions will be held over the next couple months to inform interested residents. Events scheduled so far include
- January 18 at 1 pm at the Venice Community Center
- January 19 at 5 pm at Selby Library
- February 24 at 11 am at Twin Lakes Park.
2. HT story: Co-op aims to help consumers go solar
The Florida House Institute, in coordination with the Sarasota League of Women Voters, Gulf Coast Community Foundation and other local partners, is working with the Florida Solar United Neighborhoods (http://www.flsun.org/sarasota/) to engage Sarasota County homeowners to create a solar cooperative.
Interested homeowners across many Sarasota neighborhoods would form a cooperative using the expertise of the FLSUN sponsors to develop construction standards and engage qualified contractor(s) for the installation of solar panels.
The cooperative would use the buying power of scale to get a discounted price for solar panels for participants.