If you spoke at the Oct. 25th hearing, you are welcome to send a full copy of your comments to email@example.com and we'll post them.
The Comprehensive Plan was approved at the meeting.
- "We need a clear picture of what we don't want."
Jono Miller -
- The plan needs measures/benchmarks/dates to track progress.
- Find better way to better engage the community on planning related projects
- Slow the Comp Plan update process down
- Staff is proposing vaguer language
- We’ve lost ⅕ of our beach - replaced with rock
Margaret C. - (shows images of torn up wetlands at Whole Foods site on University Parkway)
- Wetlands in process of being destroyed
- Not against development - do it in thoughtful, gentle way
- Environmental part of plan - “required” and “shall” being replaced by “may, voluntary,” etc.
- I feel I’m protecting the biz community and the public from the County Commission
- The only way to help us - make the County Charter like a phone book
- I would like to know how we keep natural parts safe from developers
- As a county we need rules that protect us from ourselves.
- Tallahassee has decimated state power to monitor local development
- My neighborhood - rezoned from 1 unit per 10 acres to 2 units per one acre -
- Stringent language is lacking in the comp plan
- The proposed plan may make our plan less protective
- Full text of Blomquist remarks.
- I want to believe changes are valid
- I do not hear why the controversial changes are needed or beneficial - I end with doubts.
- I respectfully request that the Comm address the criticisms the main ones - write an article, or be interviewed, answering in-depth questions.
Margaret Jean Cannon
- In 2010 - Sarasota came in 11th in growth - adding another city the size of Venice - we had been 18th
- Hypergrowth - challenges - look at 2050 plan
- County mission statement - enhanced quality of life -
- 1. protect the quality and integrity of our established neighborhoods
- 2. Storm surge
- 3. Looking at siloes - need traffic studies
- 4. “Should” and “shall”
- I’ve lived here 26 years - love Sarasota
- I’m sure your goal was to protect the citizens
- Compatibility with neighborhoods
- Traffic - do you want to sit on 41, or drive on it?
- Environmental impact - Once you pave paradise, it’s gone
- Make intelligent choices
- The plan seems to remove a lot of your ability to protect our interests
- One member of Sierra Club - 2,100 members -
- I wish this were an update, not an evisceration
- Meetings when 19 people speak against something, 3 or 4 speak for, and it goes thru
- "This new Comp plan is a behemoth. Few other than highly paid, specialized experts will master its intricacies."
- Do you aim to govern? Or just “encourage?”
- "This is a moment of gigantism, and the new Comp Plan, in its size, complexity, and lack of clarity, looks strangely like the outsized growth it was supposed to control."
- Density or intensity “may be lower” - it doesn’t talk about mitigation measures
- This is an evisceration of the neighborhood compatibility plan - you are taking away a very important provision
- Traffic - you are not required by state law to eliminate concurrency. If you do, your cty attorney has pointed out that you can limit a proposed rezone or special exception based on traffic considerations
- 1.3.12 - if you mean what you say, amend this to add “rezoning and special exceptions.”
- The people are right -
- Took out regs that affect mobility, environment - evisceration of 72? Policies.
- Conservation chair of Audubon Society
- We have about 1200 members
- What I hope you do is don’t approve this today
- Take some of the changes they have brought up
- Pervasive elimination of “shall”
- Majority of people don’t like the loosening of the comp plan
- Susan McManus - study - prime concerns of people of Sarasota Cty - principle concern is overdevelopment, congestion, too many people, 2nd issue is traffic
- I hope it’s not required that you make your decision today - deserves more time
- Take account of the clear feelings of the people of Sarasota County
Man from Osprey
- Your emphasis should be for the people
- Do not adopt this current update as it stands.
- Commissioner Robinson should recuse herself from this vote.
After the close of public comments, The Board of County Commissioners approved the Final Plan.